October's work is going to be fun! There's a bit of reflection and (as promised) a new technology application that you can use with your students!
From our in-person September PD we looked at the foundations of the early college and then compared our school design to the five elements of the "ideal" early college. Although one would say there were differences, it is clear that Cross Creek can answer the five questions with an affirmative reply. We do provide a "package deal curriculum" that helps students become college ready; we do foster "motivation" by giving students opportunities to prove they can succeed; we do "keep students on track" by guiding and monitoring students' achievements; we do "manage the transition" with programs like AVID and use of our instructional strategies; and we do "teach "skills" to students for college, career, and life!
The last question I asked, in a variety of ways, Why does Cross Creek exist? I collected all of your answers and they are tucked away for now. We will revisit them at a later date.
There are three parts to this assignment.
1. Watch the video by clicking on the button on the right, Start With Why. Keep this TEDTalk in mind when answering the questions.
2. Answer questions on the blog forum by clicking on comments below. Brevity is key and note that Newbies and Veterans have different questions.
Teachers/administrators with four years at early college or less (Newbies) will answer the following:
1. Why do you get out of bed every morning?
2. Do you feel a calling to do anything in particular? What?
3. What values, character qualities and priorities are important to you?
4. What legacy do you want to leave?
Teachers/administrators with five years or more (Veterans) at the early college will answer the following:
1. Why does Cross Creek exist?
2. What is the "core" offering of our school?
3. What are the extra "value-added" services we offer?
4. What makes students come to Cross Creek over other schools?
3. Go to https://info.flipgrid.com/, (or click on "Flipgrid GRID) enter c80c81, then unlock the grid by typing Cross Creek and in 90 seconds or less, answer, with using the video discussion board, one of the questions from your selections above. For clarity, please begin the video discussion board with the question first. You may answer word-for-word from your comments or extemporaneously.
This assignment is due November 7, 2017 by the end of the school day.
If you have questions, please contact me- email@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org